Must-Read Tips Before Buying Art For Your Home
Did you know that well-placed pieces of art or fine paintings have the power to transform a space? Selecting the correct piece can be a complicated and intimidating project and to help to take the mystery out of the project, we’ve got some tips to help you choose the right piece for your home. whether you want art that comes from an antique dealer or a website such as www.terrykirkwood.co.uk.
- Buy what you love. When you choose a piece of fine art, it should never be a maybe and should thrill you every day you get to look at it. You should want to smile when you see this piece of art in your home, it is your investment and this is something you’ve chosen to take centre stage in your living room or hallway.
- Consider a contemporary piece for a traditional space and vice versa. It shakes it up and adds visual interest to your home and if you go out of your way to choose something that really pops in your living space. If you are a lover of traditional décor, then you need to choose a traditional piece of art to contrast the room. This works both ways in that a traditional home space should have a piece of eclectic art or an unusual fine painting taking up the space in the home.
- Try not to match the art you have to the room it is in. Contrast and complement the space with the art you choose so it works with the existing decoration of the room and doesn’t get lost.
- If you can afford to, put in the money for a quality custom framing, museum glass and fabric mats. You will be glad you did as it will elevate the art you have in all cases. You want the money you’ve spent to really mean something and stand out and the only way you can do this is by ensuring you’ve put the money into the right piece in the home.
- Feeling adventurous? Mix art periods and styles and pair exceedingly expensive paintings with quirky pieces of street art for an urban feel in a traditional room. Add art that tells your story and means something to you – don’t just put up a pretty picture and call it artistic.
- When you put a piece of art in your home, there is only one opinion that truly matters and that is yours. Even if it’s an edgy or shocking piece, it will be remembered by those who visit your house. Of course, if you are partnered up, get the opinion of the person you’re living with but ultimately if it’s your money you’ve spent, forget opinions of others.
- If you see a fantastic piece that isn’t quite the right size or colour, always ask if the artist can make a custom piece, just for you. They usually are happy to do this as it means an extra commission notch on the belt for them and their careers!